Maia Urstad is an artist working at the intersection of audio and visual art. She finished The Bergen National Academy of the Arts in 1981 whilst a member of ska/new-wave group 'Program 81', releasing 4 records and touring between 1979-84. In the eighties, her artistic medium migrated toward sound experimentation, and she has since 1985 worked with sound in various art projects, installations, site-specific concerts, theatre and films in Norway and internationally.
In 2017, she was appointed as City Sound Artist of Bonn 2017, and is throughout 2018 exhibiting “Time-Tone-Passages”, a 40-channel site specific sound installation based on material from the radio archive of Deutsche Welle.
Urstad’s work involves integrating sound into specific locations. Recent practice includes outdoor and indoor sound installations and performances. Technological progress and communications technology are pervasive themes in her projects, and she frequently uses radio as a key audio, visual and conceptual element, commenting on the temporary nature of present technology, and what traces and stories we leave behind when new inventions enter our daily lives. The sound-textures for these projects are made from found/concrete sound sources, particularly signals from radio broadcast and telecommunication.
Maia Urstad curates and produces sound related art projects and exhibitions through her company «Maur Prosjekter» and has collaborated with a wide range of artists, curators and producers over the years. She is part of the international sound art collective Freq_out curated by CM von Hausswolff, and is co-founder of Lydgalleriet in Bergen.
DOWNLOAD CV HERE
Recent works (selection):
- «urban sound art» a Bonnhoeren exhibition at the Onassis Cultural Center, Athens, 19th-28th October 2018
- Time-Tone Passages. Public 40 channel radio installation, commissioned by Bonnhoeren Open till 31.12.2018.
- The Ethernal Chord «Semper Liber» CD release spring 2018 curated by Mike Harding, published by Field Music.
- Artist presentation at «Nye Stemmer», a project initiated and led by Rebecka Ahvenniemi. Bergen Library, Norway, 12th May.
- Landmark, Bergen Kunsthall: Live performance at the launch of Brandon LaBelle’s new book «Sonic Agency». 16th April 2018.
- Borealis Festival - Radio is Dead. Long Live Radio! with Anna Ramos, Jan Høgh Stricker, Peter Meanwell and Maia Urstad
- Tapeloping: 30th Anniversary radio stream - contribution to a generative radio stream for rt's Birthday 2018 by Absolute Value of Noise.
- Trafo Kunsthall, Oslo. «LINJE». Solo exhibition with Hilde Hauan Johnsen (NO)
- WDR3, Funkhaus Wallrafplatz Cologne, concert installation by Maia Urstad and Dirk Specht (DE)
- «Babel Underground» concert installations at Global Media Forum, Bonn with Dirk Specht. June 17. Part of Bonnhoeren.
- Off the Page, nyMusikk, Bergen Kunsthall: ”Elegy to FM” (NO)
- Visningsrommet USF, Bergen. «SPRANG USF», solo exhibition with Hilde Hauan Johnsen (NO)«
- Ô1 Kunstradio: «Radio Hommage an Pauline Oliveros». contribution to Phonofemme festival 2017.
- Radio Revolten II- sound installation at Stadtmuseum, Halle / Saale (DE)
- Kongsvinger Fortress. Permanent sound installation commissioned by KORO/Public Art Norway
- Proa Foundation Contemporary Space, Buenos Aires. Solo exhibiiton (AR)
- Proa Foundation, Performative sound work with Peter Meanwell and Lars Ove Toft
- «Bosquejar Esbozar Proyectar» score drawings for an exhibition curated by Javier Aparicio and Santiago Bengolea. Buenos Aires (AR)
- The 18th Annual High Zero Festival, Baltimore. Solo- and group performances (USA)
- Tonspur Kunstverein «Freq_out 11» curators: CMvon Hausswolff & Franz Pomassl. Vienna (AT)
- Works for Radio at Nikolaj Kunsthal, Copenhagen, commisioned by The Lake Radio (DK)
- Barents Spektakel, Kirkenes (NO)
- Landmark, Bergen - BEK Anniversary: performative sound work with Peter Meanwell and Lars Ove Toft
- Lydgalleriet, performative sound project with Conrad Kemp (ZA) curated by Daniella Cascella
- The 5th Marrakech biennial curated by Hicham Khalidi, solo performance and Freq-out #10 installation.
- Galleri SOFT, Oslo, SPRANG, solo exhibition with Hilde Hauan Johnsen (NO)
- Volt - Visningsrommet USF, Bergen, CARGO solo exhibition. More HERE.
- Galerie Del Infinito Arte - Buenos Aires, URRA 2014. Group exhibition.
- Freq_out 1.2 (skandion) permanent sound installation at Skandion Clinic, Uppsala (SE)
- Only Connect Festival of Sound, Oslo
- De Stedelijk, Sonic Acts - freq_out 10
- Moderna Museet - Freq_out 8
- Den Frie Contemporary Art, Copenhagen,
- Cafe OTO London,
- Singuhr Sound Galleri, Berlin,
- Lydgalleriet, Bergen,
- Nordnorsk Kunstmuseum og Sogn and Fjordane Kunstmuseum, with Hilde Hauan
- Intro-in-Situ, Maastrich (NL),
- Skanu Mez / Resonance Riga (LV),
- Flanders Festival Kortrijk (BE),
- Hordaland Kunstsenter, Len LIVE, Bergen (NO),
- Museu de Arte Moderna // MAMAM do patio, Rezife, Brazil
- KODE Bergen - BGO#1,
- Herdla Museum, Askøy,
- Barnas Kulturhus, with Maria Øy Lojo, Bergen (NO)
- Museum for Contemporary Art, Kaliningrad (RUS)
- Northumberland Transfer, Newcastle (UK)
- Lydgalleriet (the Sound Gallery) in Bergen (NO),
- Disturbances at Johannesburg Art Gallery South-Africa,
- Visningsrommet USF, Bergen (NO)
- Intervall - Bergen City Hall (NO),
- Article Biennial, Stavanger (NO),
- Danielle Arnoud Contemporary Art Gallery, London (UK)
- Happy New Ears Festival (BE),
- Ambience 08 - Sweden (SE)
- Borealis festival - Bergen (NO),
- Textile 07 at Kaunas National Museum Lithuania (LT),
- Rainbow Audio Transformation at Extra City in Antwerp (BE)
- Larm, Kulturhuset Stockholm (SE),
- Sound Bank at the Borealis Festival, Bergen (NO),
- freq_out 5, Chiangmai, Thailand (TH),
- freq_out 6, Kunsthalle Budapest (HU),
- Prefix Institute of Contemporary Art, Toronto, Canada (CAN)
- Version 06, Chicago (USA)
- The Idea of North, Halifax, Canada (and Galleri F15 Norway 2005),
- freq-out 4 - Sonambiente, Berlin (DE),
- Electrohype - Malmø Konsthall, Malmø (SE),
- freq-out 3 - Nuit Blanche, Paris (FRA)
- Landmark, Bergen Kunsthall, Bergen (NO),
- Borealis festival, Bergen (NO),
- Ultima Oslo Contemporary Music Festival, Oslo (NO),
- Beta I, BIT Teatergarasjen, Bergen (NO),